What if I am having trouble paying my bill?
If your account is not yet delinquent, but you are experiencing trouble making your payment, we might be able to help.
The City of Levelland understands that you may have an occasion when you run into financial difficulty and are unable to pay your bill on time.
City Hall is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. to assist you by either extending the "pay-by" date of your past-due bill or making arrangements for you to pay a bill or deposit in installments. A form is required to be filled out and signed by the party with the water account.
Please call us at (806) 894-0113 prior to your delinquent shut-off date for information for help with paying your bill.

Show All Answers

1. Where can I pay my water bill?
2. How do I set up water service for my home or rental property?
3. How do I request service for my business?
4. How do I disconnect service at home?
5. How do I disconnect my service at my business?
6. Who do I call if I have questions about my water service?
7. When is my bill considered delinquent?
8. What if I am having trouble paying my bill?
9. How does commercial or construction companies apply for temporary water?